4/29/2009

mercy

Last night we got the rare change to hear hip-hop violinist Emily Wells playing in an OC venue (at Muldoon's in Fashion Island, following the NB Film Festival). Even as much as I ridicule living in Orange County, the opportunities that result from living so close to LA are unrivaled--from art galleries, to musicians, to the gorgeous beaches.

Though Emily's cover of B.I.G's "Juicy" is probably her most popular piece, my favorite of the evening was "Mercy":


Note: if you want, skip to about 1.5 mins in where she starts singing. Haunting, IMO...

4 comments:

Gary said...

Fascinatingly cool, at least up to the rap, where it began to sound less like acoustic jazz. I'd like to see her do a little Dylan or Eagles or Van Morrison or Beatles.

JohnR said...

It was fun to go with you, my love!

G said...

she's awesome!

Melinda said...

Interesting work, but my favorite part is seeing you through the window! :)