4/29/2009

mercy

Last night we got the rare change to hear hip-hop violinist Emily Wells playing in an OC venue (at Muldoon's in Fashion Island, following the NB Film Festival). Even as much as I ridicule living in Orange County, the opportunities that result from living so close to LA are unrivaled--from art galleries, to musicians, to the gorgeous beaches.

Though Emily's cover of B.I.G's "Juicy" is probably her most popular piece, my favorite of the evening was "Mercy":


Note: if you want, skip to about 1.5 mins in where she starts singing. Haunting, IMO...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Fascinatingly cool, at least up to the rap, where it began to sound less like acoustic jazz. I'd like to see her do a little Dylan or Eagles or Van Morrison or Beatles.

JohnR said...

It was fun to go with you, my love!

galen dara said...

she's awesome!

Melinda said...

Interesting work, but my favorite part is seeing you through the window! :)