7/27/2007

Making do

For various reasons, we didn't leave our house as fully prepared for our 'home away from home' adventure as we had planned to be. Part of it was the last minute rush. Part of it was that both John and I tried 'earmark' the food to be packed in our own ways, which resulted in much of it being left behind.

And we also didn't want to go to a grocery store and buy a ton of food (trying to eat locally and all). So this is what we had for dinner tonite:

Pasta that was supposed to have some fresh tomato & basil sauce. Only we forgot the garlic (oops) and there were very few ripe tomatoes in the garden. So we had pasta w/mysterious sauce (satueed in a bit of olive oil and simmered until kinda mushy) of a few small tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, tomatillos, yellow squash, and chocolate peppers. With a few shavings of freshly grated parmesan on top. And a side salad of sliced cucumbers tossed w/a bit of sea salt. And a slice of bread toasted w/butter and bit of parmesan on the side (yum). All in all, hearty and good.

For dessert I sliced up the rest of the peaches that were nearly too ripe and tossed them with a sprinkle of sugar and a bit of butter. Then I crumbled some TJ's vegan cookies on top. Except for the fact that the cookies burnt ever-so-slightly on top, it was super tasty!

The one thing I like best about our temporary home: I can see my garden from my bedroom window. What a gift. Despite all of the inconveniences of being away from our 'stuff' for a few days (and having limited internet access), we are enjoying ourselves immensely. :)

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Yum.

Both my husband and I have been over-exuberant at the local Farmer's markets recently. Colorful mountains of fresh food + lack of self-control = a lot of "going downhill fast" veggies in the kitchen on Thursday. I threw them all in the crock pot -- peppers, onions, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, okra -- added a little chicken, some salt, thyme, paprika, jalepano, and garlic. Eight hours later, we had some stunning jumbalaya. My slow-cooker has changed my life.

Will you get back to your home before you leave for Sunstone, or are you out-of-suitcase for two weeks?

jana said...

As of this morning the pesticide gas levels are at 5 ppm or less so they say it is (supposedly) safe for us to re-enter our home now.

We will probably move back sometime tomorrow.

We leave for Utah on Thursday (yay!)...

PS: I am a HUGE crockpot fan! :) They are such a great way of 'using up' veggies that are on their last legs. I've also started freezing stuff that's nearly too ripe and using it later in soups, sauces & stews.

SoCalSingleMama said...

Hmm...I had never thought to freeze veges for winter use. That's a great idea! Occasionally we get over-zealous, too, and end up having to throw a few things out. Next time I'll throw them in a ziploc bag and make stew over the holidays. :-)