9/07/2010

vulnerable

Among the many remembrances of my cancer experience that I carry with me daily is the constant fear of my cancer returning. Though there is little chance that my bone cancer will recur, statistics show that childhood survivors of cancer have high incidence of other forms of cancer as adults. We seem especially prone to breast cancer. Which is why I get screened regularly despite having no family history of the disease.

So last week when I had two scans show up with something questionable, I started to get awfully nervous. I couldn't decide if it was a good thing that I had an anniversary getaway planned already to get my "mind off of things" or if it was a bad thing, because it was so hard for me to relax.

On Friday afternoon I had more thorough diagnostic scans taken at UCI's cancer center and I just received word that I'm clean.

Such a huge sigh of relief. Such a weight off my shoulders. Such a thing to celebrate.

7 comments:

galen dara said...

very very relieved and happy for you!!

JohnR said...

Echoing your huge sigh of relief! whew!

littlemissattitude said...

I'm so glad, Jana. I'd seen you mention that you had to have more testing, and I've been sending quiet little good thoughts your way and worrying about you.

Elaine

Leslie M-B said...

Whew! That is a huge relief. Congrats on a clean bill of health--may you have many, many more, with much less scariness attached.

k said...

Excellent news, I am so happy for you :)

Unknown said...

Jana, I'm thrilled and relieved to hear the news. You are, as always, my hero for so many reasons.

Vajra said...

Dear Jana,
So happy and relieved to learn that you're fine. LOVE!