9/11/2010

Catalina Crossing!

It's that time of year again, when all of my thoughts are focused on the U.S. Outrigger Champs race.  The picture above is from last year, where I am sitting in seat 5 (just in front of the steersperson) on the last leg of the race to Descanso Beach.

I'll ride the Catalina Flyer over to the island early tomorrow morning and then paddle my way home with a Masters Coed team.  Three of us paddled together in this race last year, and it was a great experience.  I'm looking forward to making more memories!

If you're local, you might want to head over to Newport Beach to watch the outriggers cross the finish line!  We'll come in at the Newport Harbor mouth, come straight down the channel, and finish in front of the turnoff for the Newport Dunes, probably the first boats will arrive around 2pm and the rest of us will trickle in over the next few hours.  I'll be texting my location to John occasionally (if I have a signal) and hopefully he'll forward any interesting updates to twitter (@johnremy).  If I can, I'll send over some tweets and pics myself while I'm taking a rest on the support boat!  :)

No comments: