1/09/2009

the side benefits of making history


Historian Dilly!, originally uploaded by mind on fire.

The job prospects for historians are pretty grim these days. I don't know if all my hard work from the past few years will yield a position when I'm done, but I'm trying not to think too hard about that just yet. I'm just concentrating on enjoying each day of grad school and maximizing the many opportunities that come my way.

The catalysts for our family trip to the East coast were my research in DC-area archives and my attendance at the annual AHA Meeting in NYC--both of which were fantastic experiences. There might not be much money in pursuing a career in history-making, but the travel benefits are terrific. Most of my trips this past year have been related to my archival work and I have enjoyed all of them. Some days I pinch myself even as I wonder how I could be so fortunate.

4 comments:

Diane said...

When I first found your blog you were having so many health problems. It is so great to see you so happy and healthy!

jana said...

I'm pretty thrilled about it, too! :)

Vajra said...

My great love was English lit. Life,however, took me in another direction in terms of career. Nevertheless, I've never regretted a poem read, a play analyzed, a paper written, nor my thesis resting quietly on a shelf. If I have a regret, it's that I didn't forge on to get my doctorate (and the job market for people who want to discuss John Milton is, if anything, worse than for historians). I carry the "words" in my heart and head: they made me who I am.

angryyoungwoman said...

Like Vajra, I'm an English lit nerd (just a few more classes and I'll have that blasted degree), and even though I probably won't find a career in lit, I'll always think my English classes were worth taking.

It's great that studying history has such benefits for you. :)

On another note, I just want to say that this photo of you is really great.