12/21/2008

gift from the sea


reflection, originally uploaded by pilgrimgirl.

The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach - waiting for a gift from the sea.
~Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Pic above is from our family jaunt out to the beach last weekend at sunset as a storm was rolling in on the far horizon. Yesterday I also enjoyed a 'gift from the sea' as I went outrigger canoeing on the Back Bay with a friend. Though my paddling style may have been lacking a bit (it was my first time trying to paddle in that particular manner and I ended up inadvertently dousing my friend more than once when my paddle hit the water at the wrong angle), I loved how smooth and easy it felt to be on the water. A gift, indeed.

No comments: