5/06/2008

with the taste of blood on her lips...


Studying, originally uploaded by pilgrimgirl.

See this little smidge of a kitty sitting on my hip? That's my TobyJoy, who doesn't even tip the scale at 5 lbs. She's our perpetual little kitten-cat.

Today she escaped out the back door at dusk and re-entered about 5 seconds later carrying a bunny in her mouth. Of course it wasn't just any bunny, it was the cutest little wee baby bunny ever. A perfect Toby-sized snack, I suppose. Sigh.

CatGirl squealed. I yelled for John (the master of righting-the-universe). GameBoy hid behind some bushes outside, not even wanting to know of the bunny carnage that might be ensuing in the house.

He-man John quickly separated bunny and cat, and bunny ran right under the couch where I sat. Toby was banished to the bedroom and the bunny eventually got away safely out the backdoor.

Crisis averted. But now that she's captured one bunny, I'm afraid that it just might not be her last....

9 comments:

Vajra said...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66783241@N00/2472275705/

catbonny said...

Did the bunny scream/cry?

My cat caught a baby bunny one morning and dragged it up on the back porch and the only sound I can compare it to is like an infant crying. My mom promptly went at starting screaming at the Victorious Mathilde to put it down, and she just looked at my mom like she was crazy, because she was bring her a prize, you know? The bunny hopped a away, but I am not going to suppose she lived all that much longer after that.

Also, I just finished reading Watership down, which totally made me consider the relationship between cats and rabbits. Have you ever read it?

Vajra said...

Watership Down is one of my favorite books. My only negative critique is that it's sexist, but then so is the Iliad.

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, once they have tasted bunny blood, the longing for it never dies.

What a cute little predator she is, with her precious little white feet! hee hee

gs said...

I could say something about taking a predator in as a pet, but you already know that, so instead I will just say that that's a wonderful picture. You look terrific -- very natural -- offcentered to the right, and you are balanced in the lower left by the notepad, and in the upper left by the pillow and the glasses. The glasses are a great touch. I guess this picture wasn't posed, but it came out great. The only thing I think I would have removed are the scissors, tape, and green construction paper.

jana said...

Yes, I know that it's a totally natural behavior and a part of me is even proud of Toby's apparent bunny-nabbing skill. But I can't handle the killing. Elly recently tried the same thing with a lizard and left bloody streaks all down our entryway linoleum. Bleh.

How can my snuggly kittygirls be such ruthless killers? This is a mystery to me, a paradox. I know it's natural, but that doesn't mean I have to like it...

jana said...

Bonny: CatGirl is the only one who heard the cry (as Toby nabbed the bunny)--she said it was pretty awful.

Anonymous said...

You don't mention that you screamed and started to panic when you saw the bunny, while I just shouted, "Toby's got a rabbit!" and tried to get it out of the house.

There was a sort of squeal, but I'm not sure if it was the bunny or Toby's triumphant cry.

We don't think that the bunny was actually injured. :)

Zenaida said...

I have to admit that this story was absolutely, thoroughly entertaining to hear direct from the source. It's a complete sensory overload for me to have everyone so eager to tell their side of the story. I love being bombarded with fresh perspectives from each person fleshing out the details with their overlapping narratives. : ) I feel as though I lived it when the story is over.