5/06/2008

Make me smile (and shed a few tears)...


lotsa roses, originally uploaded by pilgrimgirl.

--taking catnap lessons from Elly. And I just love that her favorite nap spot is on the pillow where I prop my left leg. She curls up next to it as if to take that edge of pain away.

--Apparently my big climbing rose is still blooming like crazy. Those coffee grounds I was feeding it all winter--they are working their good magic. I suspect that by the end of the week I'll get to take a look-see for myself. In the meantime the kids have cut a big bouquet for my table. (Do you know that even though my original injury was in the garden, I want more than anything to return....)

--Friends. There really aren't enough words to say for the friends who've brought (delicious) food, who have visited, who have cared for my children. You people rock!

--I am even more wordless when I think of John during these past few days. I've buried my head in his chest and just sobbed--he's watched every needle going in and has been strong. He's insisted at being at each doctor appointment and in making sure that I'm not getting my medications muddled up ("the shot glass on your nightstand, that one holds the next dose, dear"). Even while under increasing pressure at work, he's holding up strong. I am so sorry for the toll on him that this has been. I'm sorry for the way that his needs are continually compromised because of mine.

--And of course I'm smiling because I am feeling better. I am nearly pain-free now and I go to the doc in a few hours to see if I can start back (slowly) into my regular routines again. Best of all, the redness and swelling in my leg is nearly gone. Though I don't doubt that I'll have some longterm healing and scarring around the wound site, for the most part my leg is looking quite healthy now.

--just as I'm typing this,Regina Spektor's "On the Radio" came onto my iTunes playlist.. In so many ways this has been 'my song' for the past few years.

:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how cute are those kids? :)

I am SO glad you are feeling better and that you are being so well taken care of.

I think we need to come up with an interesting tale about whatever scar you end up with on your leg. Something about a flesh-eating volunteer in your garden, perhaps, a spore from outer space or some kind of savage jungle plant someone was growing as a houseplant but whose progeny escaped cultivation.

Dora said...

Honey, I'm so glad that you're finally at home and feeling better. When all's said and done, home is the best place to heal after treatment at a hospital.

Be well. I hope to see you before too long ...

sarah k. said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. I had such a hard time reading about your ordeal that I didn't even know what to say. I don't know how to sympathize, especially since I'm always feeling sorry for myself for the dumbest things.

Your husband sounds like a good man.