12/08/2007

blendin'

I have a new best friend, it is my Kitchenaid Immersion Blender.
While I'm rarely one to encourage my readers to buy more stuff, I just have to share that this gizmo rocks. It can make shakes in a snap. Yesterday it whipped the batter for my Dutch Baby Pancakes so fast and so smooth! The day before that it pureed the veggies in our soup quite handily. And it's WAY easier to clean than a traditional blender. And that is a huge plus at our house.

I bought mine at Target for under $50. The link above to amazon.com is a bit spendier. But if you're wondering what to get for that person who likes to cook, this might just be a winner! :)

FYI, for those of you who've never tried the wonders of a Dutch Baby pancake:

Dutch Baby Pancake
(Makes 4 to 6 servings)

6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg (or both!)
5 tablespoons butter
**Freshly squeezed lemon juice
**Powdered or confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place oven rack on the middle rack of your oven. Put a large, heavy ovenproof frying pan or a cast-iron skillet in the oven to preheat it, too.

In a large bowl, beat (with your immersion blender if you have one) the eggs until light and frothy; add milk, flour, vanilla extract, and cinnamon; beat for 5 minutes more.

Add the butter to skillet; tilting the pan to melt the butter and coat the bottom. Pour the prepared batter into the hot skillet, and immediately return the skillet to the oven.

Cook for approximately 25 minutes, or until the pancake is all puffed up and brown on the top.
Note: do not take out of the oven until you have the camera handy, because if you do this, then your husband will laugh at you as you race to get said camera as the pastry is slowly deflating...
**Cut into wedge-shaped pieces and serve the traditional way with lemon juice and powedered sugar. Or serve with fresh maple syrup (Yum!) or the way we ate them yesterday which was with chunky spiced applesauce on top. To die for!

6 comments:

amelia said...

hear, hear. i got a kitchenaid immersion blender for my birthday and i *love* it. chops onions in no time at all (mine has a food processor attachment, too). and it's perfect for making delicious homemade french hot chocolate. yummy...

Anonymous said...

It chops things too? Hmm. That sounds like something I would like to have.

Thanks to some really kind people who gave me a gift card to crate and barrel I bought a big really nice stockpot that has a pasta strainer and a steamer insert, and made a really yummy stew today. I love buying new things to cook with, but rarely allow myself to splurge. It is definitely something that could be borrowed for canning in the future. =

SoCalSingleMama said...

Hmmmm...if you put ice cubes in your smoothie, will it crush them up? That is the hardest part about making a good smoothie....

jana said...

JG:
I've done frozen fruit but not ice (it's been too cold for icy drinks!). But the manual says it does ice, so I'm hoping it does!

Bonny:
You are so awesome! Let's do some canning next summer! Strawberry jam and tomato sauce, etc! Yay for stockpots! :)

Anonymous said...

Jana, you MUST try the buttermilk syrup on these. I posted the recipe on my blog--let me know if you can't find it. You will never go back.

Bekah said...

Immersion blenders were a must have in Portugal. You could make a great potato soup then puree the potatoes in the pot. The other trick to making thick hearty soups was to add potato flakes (kind of cheating). Yum. I think I'll make soup tonight.