8/24/2007

fixed


photoshopped flower, originally uploaded by pilgrimgirl.

A fellow blogger, Jonathan, photoshopped one of my flower pics and sent it over so I could see what a bit of digital massage could do to brighten up my pics.

I love what he did with this picture (compare it to the original).

For me right now, however, I'm eschewing photoshop for my daily flowers. Why? Among the reasons: I don't have a lot of time for 'photoshopping', I like the challenge of taking pics 'just as they are' (I don't even crop them), and I'm sharing with you just what I saw (although I will admit that the colors are a bit less vibrant then they are in 'real life.')

When I was in SLC I met many people who enjoy my photos. Several asked me about my camera, lenses, etc. When I pulled out my teeny little Canon, more than one laughed a bit. Because it's "not a real camera." I even borrowed a 'real camera' from a friend for a few minutes to try my hand at some 'real photography' (thinking that someone beautiful would result). And it was so hard to use--too many bells and whistles and just too heavy to do what I do with mine.

I guess I'm trying to justify the fact that I am lowtech and lowbrow when it comes to photography. Or maybe I just like the instant gratification that comes from using a simple tool (my Canon) in my own simple way. I will probably never be a pro photographer. And I have little aspiration to become such. Because as soon as I become too preoccupied with my 'technique,' I lose the intimacy of my garden experience.

So for now it's just me and my little Canon. Doing what we enjoy most as we spend time in our garden. :)

Hey, but ya'll are always welcome to improve upon my humble efforts!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No offense intended to your original. I just thought that the camera had failed to capture the full color of the flower.

When I look at the original on this monitor, it gives me a clear sense of being taken in twilight. My processing looks more like full daylight. I guess I just like lots of flashy color. :)

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Gray said...

Thanks for the photos and the updates. I have been on the road and have not been able to check in recently. I have a better camera, but my trusty Canon Powershot is the one that lives in my briefcase. Flash aside, I'm amazed what a good job it does.

Welcome to the new place. May you enjoy it and occupy it more safely than the old place.

Anonymous said...

my friend taught me how to use photoshop "actions". with a click of a button, you can totally enhance an image. it takes the complication out of things.

beautiful picture :)