7/14/2007

friends


dora-chan, originally uploaded by pilgrimgirl.

Went to the WACK feminist art exhibit this afternoon with friends, including four of the X2 bloggers and some AROOM participants. So fun! As we toured the exhibit that showcased feminist art from the 1970s and 80s I couldn't help but think of our collective sisterhood that's grown out of our affinity for the work started by the feminist foremothers of Exponent II in the 80s. The early X2'ers, like the WACK women, had a growing consciousness of oppression based on sex and gender. They organized themselves and produced books and a newspaper. They wrote poetry, fiction, and personal essays, created art, and aimed to change the world.

An important legacy that we now carry on as Exponent bloggers and blogreaders.

And while I recognize the significance of this legacy, I'm also just thrilled to have this bright and beautiful bunch of women to call my friends. :)

So at the exhibit there were numerous provocative pieces of art. Many challenged gender stereotypes or highlighted the social violence directed towards women. My favorite art piece was a small closet-sized room where all of the walls were painted black. Suspended from the ceiling and from each of the walls was an irregularly woven web of white crocheted yarn. I stood in that room for quite awhile alone. Feeling the warmth and security of being wrapped in a cocoon. But also feeling the connectedness of each of the fibers that composed the web that surrounded me. That experience was, for me, symbolic of the relationships that I have with the world. Yes, there are many patterns and textures to my ties to the people around me--as there were in this particular art installation--but it's the variety and strength of those relationships that make my life so meaningful, that give my days their joy and purpose.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Jana: I love looking at your pictures of the day. I didn't really take many even though I had my camera. What a memorable exhibit for me. For some reason, I loved how many self-portrait-type pieces there were--in painting, photography, and video. I also loved the installations. And the domestic as art.

jana said...

Did you know that taking pictures was against the rules in the museum? I thought it odd that there were no signs saying this, yet the security guards quickly let me know this when they saw my camera....grrr! What fun is visiting an art museum if you can't snap pics of your favs?

FWIW, I was totally inspired by the self-portraits. You'll probably be seeing some more of them here in days to come... :)

Brooke said...

I didn't get my camera out in the museum, thinking it would be against the rules, but I kept looking for signs and didn't see any. But I do wish I'd taken pics of the other parts of the day. And I wish we could have eaten together as a group.

Can't wait for some self portraits.