9/01/2005

from the mouths of babes...

Last night E told me that I'm building a house. I looked at her, puzzled. She replied:

"Well you have AROOM and you have an Outhouse, so I guess you should just go ahead and get the whole house."

I giggled at her insight. AROOM is my reading/writing group (it stands for A Room Of Our Own Making--an allusion to Virginia Woolf that's highly appropriate for our all-female group). Outhouse is what we call the group of liberal Mormons that we meet with every Wednesday night [The name came from a funny discussion about a year ago that we had about "in-house" versus "out-house" intellectuals. The name seems to fit our ragtag group of Mo's pretty well and has stuck ever since].

I'd never thought about the group names in relation to an actual architectural structure. But, in a way, it's apt. For, as a result of these groups I've found a community of friends to call "home."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
amelia said...

can't wait to see what you add to your structure next.

Caroline said...

jana, did you delete that first comment? sometime, tell me how you did that. I want to be prepared in case a pervert posts something.