4/18/2007

it's the bomb...

The chilling beauty of these 'mushroom cloud' images might be an appropriate accompaniment to John's Wednesday challenge. As I saw the homes leveled by the winds and thought of the untold devastation of Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the Nevada tests, I found myself in awe of the power of humanity at the same time I was horrified that such weapons were ever developed, much less used on humans (enemy or otherwise).

I have often wondered if Utah's nuclear legacy is a reason for my own bout of osteosarcoma. It may have more to do with my father's research in petrochemicals during the time of my conception. Or it may be an entirely random ailment. In any case, I have bone-deep empathy for those whose bodies were and are maimed in acts of war or other violence.

No comments: