3/24/2007

it's a small world


nightstand, originally uploaded by pilgrimgirl.

Here's a photo of my nightstand/drawers with a couple of favorite candles on top.

Because we live in such a small space (~700 sq ft), we have to live 'small' in almost every aspect of our lives. Here's an example: the top drawer of this nightstand holds my pajamas: my favorite blue plaid PJ pants, a t-shirt, a few prs of nylon shorts that double as exercise clothes, and a knit hoodie for cold nights; the middle drawer holds my underwear: tops, bottoms and 2 slips; the bottom drawer contains my sewing supplies and a few items that need to live in the nightstand of any happy couple.

When I was younger (and single) I had large drawers--easily 3 times the size of these--devoted to each of the above categories (except for the latter one).

Note: I lightly photoshopped this picture--changing it to grayscale and heightening the contrast just a smidge.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice picture.

i don't remember much from photography class, but one thing was that it's nice to have true black and true white (not just a bunch of shade of grays) in a b&w picture. this picture has that and nice texture as well.

jana said...

I wish I hadn't had to use flash, as it left a bright spot in the middle of the picture. But my room is just too dark (even in the middle of the day with the overhead light and two lamps on) for good non-flash photos. I should've put a piece of tape over the flash to soften it a bit, but I forgot to do that...

Bored in Vernal said...

I love that you are able to live so simply. I think I would tend toward decorating with a Shaker style if I didn't have So Much Crap! For example, my underwear and workout clothes/pajamas live in a dresser twice the size of yours. Sewing supplies inhabit an entire utility room.

jana said...

Biv:
John & I do have one more small dresser with 5 drawers. In that I have one drawer w/socks (I love socks and I own far too many given my small amt of drawer space and how infrequently I actually wear socks), one with sweaters (this one is half-empty because I really only have 2 or 3 sweaters that I wear anymore), and one with some exercise pants, tees, and a few swimsuits.

I also have a bench for my sewing machine that holds many notions and a large rubbermaid container in CatGirl's closet that holds quilting fabric and other various fabric remnants.

Jonathan Blake said...

My family also makes due with a little over 700 square feet of living space. I also try to think of it as an exercise in simplicity. It's amazing how well we can live with so little stuff to clutter our lives.