3/23/2007

because it's spring

Tomorrow I intend to spend much of my day in the garden. I have so much unfinished business to work on, and I need to feel the sun on my face (too many hours indoors and under the weather with a cold this week).

Two new blogs that I'm reading featured some lovely spring thoughts and photos. Check them out...

Lymphopo's entry today at As The Tumor Turns made me reflect on my own joy at seeing yet another Spring:
I'll never forget last August, when I thought I had advanced lung cancer and at most three months to live. One day a bulb catalog arrived in the mail, and I burst into tears, believing I would never live to see another spring with its tulips and hyacinths and daffodils. But: it's spring again, and here I am.

Sara writing at Moving Right Along gives a beautiful and haunting reminder of life's ephemerality:
This is not to say that we should all take our cameras with us wherever we go, or that moments die if we don't record them. They don't; after all, like a lot of beautiful things I've seen, I didn't photograph this one moment, but I still remember that day, that pink sky, the way that specific charming little house looked all frosted with real ice and trimmed with lace behind glass, and how my day had led me to stand there and look at it. This is to say, camera or no, this day, this vision, this record, whatever record you make, on paper, on pixel, on protein in your skull, on empty air forgotten as soon as it is exhaled, this opportunity is here for you to love right now and right now only. The people you pass, even if they are grimly visaged and seem determined to stay that way, you don't know the truth of their lives. You don't know but that maybe one smile and one remark reveling in the fact that you both breathe, right now, today, could be the only thing that will intersect with any of their moments this week and make them smile.


What about you, what are your thoughts and feelings as you see the world waking up around you this season?

No comments: