11/07/2006

clothes that I have loved....

I've been absolutely enchanted by the story of this woman who wore the same little brown dress for a whole year. Every day. (And not to worry, she washed it every few days).

It's started me thinking about my favorite clothes in my closet. Those items that I can wear over and over before I realize that they've been with me for years. They are soft and comfy like old friends.

-Right now I am wearing the black cropped pants that I wore on my first-ever trip to Europe 7 years ago. They are still super comfy even though I've had to rehem them several times. They are the pants I wore to Connecticut when I got embarrassed by the airport security person who discovered the secret safety pins that live in their waistband (oops).

-I have been wearing the same PJ pants nearly every day for nearly 10 years. They are a light blue plaid. I cut the legs off just below the knee and have never hemmed them. They've gone camping, have seen me through several moves and many late nights of reading. They are comfort.

-My favorite black sweater. 'Nuff said there.

-My blue & white Nikes. Oh, these are so old and ugly now that I only wear them for gardening. The sole has split and is coming off of one shoe. But the second I step into them I am in heaven. No shoes have ever fit me so well.

Thinking about my few favorite pieces of clothing has made me wonder what it would be like just to wear those items. Or to make a dress that fit me well and to wear it every day. Would life be easier, because the question of what to wear just wouldn't be there? Or would I feel stifled by the monotony?

When John and I were poor newlyweds I had two t-shirts and one pair of jeans that I wore almost every day. We called them my 'uniform.' At the time I remember being quite proud of them--I loved them and they fit me well. But life got a bit more complicated after I got pregnant and was forced to get bigger clothes. Now I have a sense of nostalgia for those days when I didn't have to muddle through what to wear.

I'm also wondering if the preoccupation on how we adorn our bodies somehow distracts us from exploring and understanding ourselves?

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I would love to have a cute school uniform I had to wear everyday (with a couple of variations). That would be the best. But I also wonder about how much of myself is reflected in what I choose to wear. And how much that choice is telling me about myself. The thing I really hate is how strongly my choice of what I wear is dictated by the options out there in retail. I wish, wish I could design and make my own clothes. But who has the time?

Anonymous said...

My uniform is stone washed jeans and a black (tshirt/sweater/turtleneck) with black (shoes/sandals) and wild socks (or no socks in summer).

Yep, that's pretty much my attire at a minimum 4 days out of the week, I'd say. lol