6/13/2010

Seattle-bound

My plans for this trip had to change at the last minute, due to my confusion over the ferry schedule back to Seattle.  So instead of an extra day to explore Vancouver Island, I gained a day to explore Seattle (how odd that it is, really, considering that in just a few days, John will be settling into making this city his new temporary home…).  One of the joys of such a spontaneous change is that I was able to quickly make contact with a Seattle blogger that I’ve followed for several years.  She and I shared a friend in Sara, but have never met.  We also share a love for gardening and the Japanese culture, as well as experience with cancer.


The change in travel plans has meant less time as a tourist—I never did even make it to a tea shop in Victoria—but more time talking with fellow travelers at my conference.  Last night I ended up sharing dinner with a woman that I’d just met, after we learned that we had children of similar ages and temperaments (and we’d bought similar take-home gifts in the UVic bookstore).  As we walked on we realized that both of our spouses build/manage databases and we also share a passion for 19th-century women’s history.  Sharing a cab to the ferry this morning I had similarly provocative conversations with scholars from California,New York, and Illinois.

As I write this, I’m looking out over the rolling waters of the Juan de Fuca strait and dreaming about paddling those waters someday.  My very small taste of the Pacific Northwest & Vancouver Island has me convinced that this is a place to return to again soon.  A place that I could even call home someday.  But even more than the connection that I’m finding to the cities and structures of the area, I’m feeling full of the conversations and connections that’ve emerged in the past few days.  I’m coming home full of ideas and possibilities, ready for even more such experiences at the conferences coming up in July, and for my research projects.

5 comments:

JohnR said...

"I'm coming home full of ideas and possibilities"

I think this is one of the best reasons to meet new people, and to travel and experience the world.

Elissa said...

The Pacific Northwest, indeed. And you know when you want a few days in Portland, you always have a place to stay. :) Glad you had such a wonderful trip--it sounds like quite a successful one, indeed.

Our Deli-Sub said...

I wish I had read this earlier. If/when you make it back remember we are here and would love to catch up and show you some of the "westest" part of the northwest. John too if he isn't too busy with his SF conference. Our contact info is on Facebook.

jana said...

Nicole:
I had no idea you were in Seattle--for some reason I thought you were in Minnesota. Oops! I'll be back for sure & I just told John that you're in the area :)

Our Deli-Sub said...

Ya, the Minnesota thing did not work out. We are west of Seattle between Bremerton and Poulsbo. It is about 80 minutes from downtown Seattle.