12/15/2009

Mary Monday: venting & poetry

Yesterday I posted a crowdsourced parody of the "12 Days of Christmas" song entitled "The 12 Woes of the Quarter" to the History Compass blog. It addresses some specific grievances from those of us grad students who're struggling through the UC financial crisis. You might want to take a look. :)

Last night I attended an event that showcased various forms of e-literature, including much e-poetry. I was particularly taken by the work of David Jhave Johnston, and encourage you to spend some time perusing the work on his site and watching the piece below...(yes, I know it's all wonky in the sizing, but hopefully it'll all work anyways).

And then, as I walked home all full of poetry (and mango sticky rice--yum!) late last night, I became enchanted by the shadows cast by my own legs as I passed under streetlights. I was wearing a shortish a-line skirt that seemed to complement the asymmetrical shapes of my left and right legs. As the legs stretched out in the shadows, they looked rather like doll-legs. It was so strange to see them and feel as though they were a piece of art that was not connected to me. With my cameraphone I snapped one blurry picture, to share when I was feeling in that moment...

4 comments:

Bored in Vernal said...

VERY cool. Thanks for turning me on to epoetry. How fascinating.

galen dara said...

I am amazed and in awe. thank you for sharing that.

Tiffany said...

Great photo Jana! Very Burton, as others said.

Tiffany said...

oops! I mean, as YOU said. sorry!