9/27/2009

off-season


Cape Cod, originally uploaded by pilgrimgirl.

As part of my New England travels last week, I had a few spare days in between various meetings. So I decided to book a room by myself at a charming Cape Cod B&B called The Old Sea Pines Inn. While there I spent nearly all day writing, only venturing out in the late afternoons for walks around the environs. What a heavenly experience!

It was off-season in the Cape, so everything was quite quiet. I got a reduced rate at the Inn and even though I was technically sharing a bathroom, I was never actually sharing with anyone. The breakfasts were large and tasty and there was "tea" each afternoon (which I loved, of course). The front veranda was perfect for reading in the evening, the back porch was an idyllic spot for breakfast, and the parlor had plenty of cozy couches for all-day writing sessions.

I expect to return again soon enough--though I'd like to bring my family along next time and share some of the Cape magic with them!

P.S. There's a charming bookstore just one block down the street from the Inn, which is definitely an asset to any vacation spot! Thumbs up to the clerk who not only helped me find Mary Oliver, but also gave me a pen so I could mark my favorite lines.



Picture taken in the Old Sea Pines Inn garden--a lovely spot for weddings!

2 comments:

Diane Hutchinson said...

incredible photo...and sincere thoughts. Nice

DHolmes said...

Our summers are spent going back and forth to the Cape. Sometimes just for a weekend, frequently longer. The Cape is forever in my heart and soul. I always enjoy your posts and photos, but never posted a comment until now. Next time you visit, stop at 392 Main Street in Brewster and sample the local produce/flowers from my sister's farmstand...In the Weeds Flower and Farm. I promise, you won't be disappointed.