9/17/2008

It's so simple...

This is great, folks:
“It’s so simple. Most people who can’t afford health insurance also are too poor to owe taxes. But if you give them a deduction from the taxes they don’t owe, they can use the money they’re not getting back from what they haven’t given to buy the health care they can’t afford.”
~Stephen Colbert on McCain's health insurance plan.

Or maybe you're like me, where in just a few months I'd use up the health insurance tax break (if I even qualified for it) simply because I have a cancer history. Gah. Here's a related article from the NYTimes. Also, an interesting analysis of the candidates' stance on disability issues.

3 comments:

catbonny said...

The article from the NY Times makes me want to stay in school for many years just for the health insurance. I think about the gaps betwen being in college, and getting a job with benefits, and how it's really scared to be high risk and uninsured. It makes staying in school seem really appealing.

Craig said...

I love Steven Colbert's ability to so eloquently show how non-sensical and unbased in reality so many of the republican party's policies are.

Maureen said...

I just about dropped my teeth when my mom told me how much her chemo cost, and how much she had to pay for her PET scans. When she started musing that they may have to move somewhere smaller and not so nice, I really sat up and took notice.

And with mom having had 3 cancers, one sister having had a tiny patch of skin cancer removed, and assorted other family health problems, I realize I'm higher risk that I thought I was.

This sort of thing makes my husband and me VERY, VERY grateful for his military health care and our federal employee health benefits. Not to mention feeling just a bit guilty that we were lucky enough to do so well when so many people need benefits but don't qualify or can't afford them.

I think health care may quickly eclipse the "global war on terror" as *the* deciding issue come November.

We gotta vote, people - lives are hanging in the balance!