4/22/2008

happy hippie earth day to you


unfolding, originally uploaded by pilgrimgirl.

"Very early, I knew that the only object in life was to grow."
~Margaret Fuller

If you went this morning to your favorite chi-chi Newport Beach nursery today to pick up a few plants for your garden and felt overwhelmed and grateful for the abundance (even as you smiled a bit inwardly at the perfectly coiffed ladies who didn't look as though they dirtied their nails in their gardens very often), then went to your garden in the evening for planting, surprised that the scent of citrus blossoms was still in the air from your neighbor's tree, then getting down on all fours to work the soil in the bed that will host the strawberries, then the peppers, then the eggplants, then planting your newest type of lavender and a shaggy bush of chamomile (it smells of afternoon tea already).

And if this is you, you were a bit overwhelmed by how much work still has yet to be done to get your garden all set for summer, but you realized that you don't begrudge any of the time that it will take.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jana,

I have been meaning to ask you where you get your new plants each year (nurseries or catalogs). We have a lot to do in our backyard this year. I am trying to find a good place to start. We are looking forward to seeing you and your family this summer. I am especially looking forward to seeing how you transport a garden gate on the plane :)

jana said...

Becky:
My plants come from different places every year. For example, one year my plants all came from the OC Organic Gardening Club, another year all of my seeds came from a big batch of free seeds acquired for our garden from the folks at Seeds of Change.

We've had a cool spring here and that combined with some wayward ducks that mowed down some of my seeds sprouts meant that I had to buy some plants from a local nursery. Usually that's a last-resort choice for me.

Lessie said...

I bought some chamomile seeds this year as well (this will be my first garden going solo--I'm a little nervous). I'm excited about the idea of growing my own tea. Now if only I knew where to find a camellia sinensis tree . . .

Unknown said...

Do you have any favorite catalogs, besides Seeds Of Change? I am sorry to hear about your leg (later posting). What a rotten way to get a little R&R. Take care!