3/16/2008

so fragile

Been spending most of today with CatGirl nesting on the couch with pillows and cozy blankies. She's been intermittently running a high fever (102-104) for the past 24 hours.

With her head leaning on my shoulder and her lanky body curled into mine, I remember her baby days when she rarely wanted to lose touch. She was my little monkey, arms wrapped tightly around my neck. When I sat in a chair she would stand behind me, running her fingers through my hair (when she got a bit older she loved to give me 'pretty hairdos' with her rainbow-colored barrettes).

Now, with the flush of fever showing red on her cheeks and lips, my instinct is to hold her tight, to absorb the heat. Remembering a time when our bodies were joined--mine feeding hers, nurturing the small ball of tissue that would eventually grow into my bright and graceful girl.

Today I ache to add my strength to hers again. Because she feels so small and fragile in my arms.

1 comment:

Bored in Vernal said...

Get well soon, CatGirl.