1/18/2008

when life gives you lemons...


lemon tree, oh so pretty, originally uploaded by pilgrimgirl.

When we moved into our new home we found a lovely lime tree just off the side of our back porch. CatGirl made a superb key lime pie from the fruit and we've using them in various recipes and beverages. The limes were uncharacteristically tasty and sweet.

Lo and behold, when I was snapping pics on the back porch today I looked up to the tippity top branches of the tree and discovered...lemons. So I guess it's a lemon tree. Yum!

3 comments:

Rich said...

Limes and lemons? Could be grafted limbs too...? I remember our lemon tree in San Diego -- seems like it was grafted onto a root/trunk that was disease resistant citrus (oranges? don't remember now). When I learned about grafting I was dumbfounded and amazed.

jana said...

At my parent's home we had one tree that produced lemons, limes and grapefruit. It was amazing. That may be the case with this tree, but I'm not sure. Both the 'lemons' and the 'limes' taste great. Someone else told me that some varieties of limes are yellow, so that might also be an explanation???

Vajra said...

Oh, dear, this reminds me of our beautiful Meyer lemon tree which my dearest "pruned" until it resembled a pitchfork, which then subsequently died. Those lemons were so sweet.