11/24/2007

small and white


paperwhite 3, originally uploaded by pilgrimgirl.

I love the simple beauty of this photo! These paperwhite flowers are blooming along my front fence area. They are small, almost unnoticeable. But there is something so endearing about them! I feel calmer, more centered just gazing on them....A space of peace in a busy weekend.

Tonite for dinner I cooked a homemade pizza with a pesto sauce made from the abundance of basil in my garden. It's gotten a bit colder lately and I'm guessing that the basil might not last too much longer (I usually lose it in late December) so I figured it was time to use it up! I also picked the last of my lettuce for our dinner salad. Most of the plants bolted in the heat last week so there were just a few good leaves left per plant.

In my haste to get the dinner put together, apparently I didn't wash the lettuce as well as usual. Both John and GameBoy found small snails in their salad. Eeuuuuwwww....I am having lots of snail problems this year--any thoughts on natural snail deterrents? (btw, I promise if you join us for dinner at our home, I'll make sure to triple wash the lettuce!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diatomaceous earth springs to mind, but there are other things to try. Check out this place for ideas:

Snail Solutions at BioControl Network:
http://www.biconet.com/solutionsqs.html#Snails

jana said...

I do diatomaceous earth sometimes, but I find that it washes off within one watering, so it's a lot of effort for very little longevity in snal protection. I'll take a look at your link and see if I can come up with a better solution...

Anonymous said...

I like the Worry-Free/Sluggo stuff. Though of course I don't remember to re-apply it often enough. Definitely helps around the hostas and the rhubarb, though.

amelia said...

i had a friend whose mom used beer to deal with the snails. is there such a thing as organic beer? :)

your dinner sounds yummy. i love pizza with pesto.

daisies said...

that photo is gorgeous!!