8/29/2007

because life would be happier and more fulfilling...

An essay that I wrote back in 1983 that I do believe was my first-ever published piece of writing. [For you young'uns: yes, we did have TV way back in the early eighties...]

What Would Life Be Like Without Television

Without television we wouldn't have video games. People would be a lot wealthier because of not spending money on the games. People would also have time for other things.

People would be healthier if they didn't sit in front of the TV all the time. Instead, they would get exercise.

Many people say TV is a learning tool. I agree with them. Except that without TV I'm sure we could fid other ways to learn. Children would also be a lot smarter because they would do their homework more often.

Also, I have noticed that when people watch TV, they tend to get grouchy and irritable. So, maybe without TV the world would be a happier place to live.

I Think without TV there would be less crime and killing. In my opinion, TV is where most people get their wrong ideas.

Without TV people would not be able to see the news. I suppose people would not me able to see many other informational shows, either. So more people would have to get their news and information another way.

More people would buy tickets to sports events because people wouldn't be able to see sports on TV.

I am not saying I am against television, I really enjoy it, but I think life would be happier and more fulfilling without it.

I find this essay rather prescient. John and I vowed when we were married* not to have a TV in our home. We've stuck to that with just a few brief (and unsatisfactory) exceptions. I also find it notable that even way back then I was concerned with violence--my pacifism was already blossoming.

*UPDATE: The vow wasn't part of our Mormon secret marriage ceremony. Just FYI...

2 comments:

SoCalSingleMama said...

I was born in 1983. :-) My first memory of a TV was the little (10 inch, maybe?) black and white TV my parents had with an antenna. Once a month, probably when my dad got paid, we would go to the video rental store (it was a mom-and-pop place, and I remember it being a little musty with brown wooden walls) and rent a kids movie AND a VCR (you could rent them back then since not as many people had their own). We would go home, pop popcorn with an old-fashioned air popper, and watch our movie - usually something classic or something Disney.

Ahhhh, memories.... :-)

I like the piece, though - where was it published? Although I don't share your sentiments entirely, I really admire your's and John's commitment to not having TV. My TV watching as a kid was very monitored and limited, which is why I read books ALL the time. It's really sad how many kids just don't read anymore.

jana said...

It was published in the School District newsletter because I won 2nd prize in an essay contest. :)

Wow, I'm not even going to comment on the fact that IT WAS THE YEAR YOU WERE BORN. Uh, yah.