6/02/2007

practically perfect



Last night, on a bit of a whim, we all went to the local dollar theater and watched "Miss Potter." I'm so glad that we did! What a charming biopic about author and artist Beatrix Potter.

Some things that particularly resonated with me:
-Her unabashed love of nature!

-Buying a quaint working farm in the Lake District! Yes!

-Ewan McGregor as her dashing publisher/boyfriend/fiance. His gorgeous crooning in her ear as he takes Beatrix in his arms for a private dance. Okay, like I was about to pass out at that very moment because I couldn't believe how irresistibly charming he was! Wow! And her childhood boyfriend-turned-husband was awfully good eye candy, too!

-Her Hilltop Farm garden (pictured above). What a gorgeous rambly-looking space. If I lived in a more verdant clime, I would aspire to a similar garden layout myself!

-Beatrix's watercolor paintings. Feeling inspired to break open my own (unused for several years) watercolor set even as I imagine how fun it would be to set up an easel in my garden plot on some upcoming afternoon. :)

-The Isle of Man was the backdrop for part of the film. I just can't wait to get myself back to that place again someday (will it be as good as I remember it from seven years ago? I'm guessing it may even be better this next time??).

After the movie we went to a nearby French bakery and bought some bread pudding and a strawberry mousse dessert to take home and share around our big brown table (not to fear, dear readers, our table still remains even after our recent household reorganization project). What a practically perfect Friday evening with the people that I love most in this world. :)

2 comments:

JohnR said...

Do you want me to grow one of those mustaches that Ewan was wearing? :P

If you look at my NetFlix queue, it's full of stereotypical male viewing--SF, samurai, film noir, action thrillers, documentaries (and I love this stuff!). But underneath I'm also a sucker for these sweet romances (one of my faves is I Capture the Castle, but I'm not as big a fan of the torrid romances). Kudos to Jana for overcoming my initial resistance and getting me out to see this one.

Shawn said...

I loved this movie also, Jana!
It made me want to finish my children's book that I started last year...

I got the soundtrack also, which is worth getting---so nice to walk to!

Great to read your blog!