12/13/2006

can't. stop. posting. today....

A meme from alisonwonderland:
I'm tagging everyone on this one--answer either in the comments or on your blogs (but please do leave a comment here if you reply to the meme):
Tanya, John, JohnW, Caroline, Margi, Amy, Deborah, Brooke, Christi, Seymour, Dora, BIV, Lorell, RyanH, Elise, and the rest of you readers out there... :)

1. Eggnog or hot chocolate? Umm...tea. Duh.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just put them under the tree? Wraps them. He used to wait until Christmas Eve for them to appear. But this year they appeared about Dec 1st.

3. Colored lights on the tree, or white? White.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? I wish. Anyone have some for me?

5. When do you put your decorations up? I aim for T-Day weekend, but it's usually later than that.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? John's clam dip, Mom's rolls, yams, and rotkohl.

7. What's a favorite holiday memory from your childhood? Hmmm...maybe this goofy little Santa play that my big sis and I wrote and acted out when we were about 8&9 years old. I was Santa--wearing my bright red Danskin turtleneck and pants. And Becky dressed up as a reindeer in her brown velveteen jumper (with a lipstick-red nose)

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don't remember. As far back as I can recall Mom was puting the gifts under the tree.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? With homemade ornaments, origami cranes, paper flags from all the countries that we've visited, and a slew of applesauce-cinnamon ornaments to make everything smell yummy.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it? Love visiting it. Dread living in it

12. Can you ice skate? Not anymore.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Every year I had a different favorite.

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Tradition and family time.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Just about anything pumpkin-ish.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Saving up the Halloween candy for making gingerbread house-ish creations (just you wait, I'm already planning the AVCT 3.0 gingerbread extravaganza this weekend--anyone wanna join in the fun??). Also, handmade Christmas gifts for my sibs.

17. What tops your tree? A big golden bow. Someday I want something better, but the right topper just hasn't found me yet.

18. Which do you prefer - giving or receiving? I love it all as long as neither is too excessive.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? I really love Sting's "Gabriel's Message." I also love Harry Connick Jr and Amy Grant's Christmas Albums--I can belt out every song! My favorite Christmas hymns are "Far, Far Away on Judea's Plains" and "O Little Town of Bethlehem."

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or yum? Pretty yucky, IMO. I don't like sucking on sugary candy because it makes my mouth feel all sticky and yucky inside. That said, though, I'm a sucker for anything toffee-ish.

9 comments:

alisonwonderland said...

thanks for playing, jana! merry christmas!

amelia said...

it's up on my blog--laughtear.blogspot.com

thanks for sharing. i love christmas. yay!

Anonymous said...

up on my blog too. be sure to explore the link provided with #16. it'll blow your mind.

Anonymous said...

This is for you, Jana

1. Eggnog or hot chocolate? Who says
OR?? Variety is good. I like to do Silk EggNog made out of soy milk. And I love mint or belgian dark hot chocolate. These are my main treats of the season.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just put them under the tree? A simple brown paper wrap with some raffia. I
admit that this is not an environmentally-motivated tradition.

3. Colored lights on the tree, or white? White

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Not so much. But there is plenty of love to go around in its absence!


5. When do you put your decorations up? I love when we can do a party the weekend after Thanksgiving. If I am going to put it up...why not have it last for a bit?

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Breakfast meal of sausage casserole and orange rolls with an orange. No question.

7. What's a favorite holiday memory from your childhood? When I was five or so, my mother would wake me up at around midnight and take me to the window. She would open it up and ask if I could hear Santa's bells. Not only could I hear them, but I saw Santa in the sky once. No kidding. It was much later that I found out my father would head out in the snow each Christmas Eve, bells in hand, to give his daughter a chance at believing. Their orchestration moves me still.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I am not sure. But whatever disappointment I may have felt was tempered by the fact that I could be Santa with my parents to my younger siblings. THAT was joy.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No gift opening until the day after Christmas at our house.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? We have painted wooden ornaments. Some angels or fairies. Glitter balls. Simple and so not put together...but beautiful to us.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it? After our time in Seattle, we love it. Love it. Love it. We embrace the seasons.

12. Can you ice skate? A bit.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? AS in wrapped?? My favorite gifts have not come in packages. :)

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Connecting with those I love. Feeling a sense of magic. Hope. Love. Peace. These become more tangible for me at this time of year...though I try to keep them with me, always.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Caramel corn that I make in the oven.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Our children don't receive presents under the tree from us...so it would have to be the care that goes into those stockings! Or family meals.

17. What tops your tree? Nothing at the moment. I am looking for an angel that suits me.


18. Which do you prefer - giving or receiving? I like the whole experience.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? O Holy Night by Celine Dion. The Prayer by Celine and Andrea Bocelli. Mary Did You Know but it has to be sung by the Trapp Family Children. Unbelievable. Or Carol of the Birds. Or All I'll Ask This Christmas. The Trapp Family Christmas Album is a keeper, I tell you.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or yum? I am more of a dark chocolate girl.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jana! That was fun. I posted my own here.

Your gingerbread extraveganza sounds great! It is my one year anniversary on Saturday (yay!), otherwise I'd love to come make one too. Hopefully I'll get to see the masterpieces on Sunday!

jana said...

Margi et al:

Thanks for playing along--it's been great fun to read your replies! :)

Anonymous said...

on my blog.
Come see me!

Anonymous said...

As part of the Bachelor Grinch Mafia, I'm going to have to project some of my family traditions into my answers.

1. Eggnog or hot chocolate?
Eggnog, if I -had- to choose one. You don't typically make hot chocolate from half-and-half, but if you did, I'd have a much tougher choice.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just put them under the tree?
Wrap. Why? I'm not quite sure...
(BGM: No presents at my apartment)

3. Colored lights on the tree, or white?
Colored.
(BGM: Tree?)

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No.
(BGM: No)

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Late. Like 2nd week of December late.
(BGM: No decorations)

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Turkey dressing w/gravy.
(BGM: Somehow I end up eating the oyster every year too)

7. What's a favorite holiday memory from your childhood?
Never had extended family around except one time when my paternal grandmother visited us in Cleveland from Chicago.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
Uh, don't remember. I don't think my parents ever used the Santa "bad kids" blackmail. It was a little more subtle. Maybe 4th grade or so? I don't think my mother wrapped presents in front of me until high school.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
No. Who's dumb idea was that?

10. How do you decorate your
Christmas tree?
Ornaments from the ornament box. Where did it come from? No idea.
(BGM: Tree?)

11. Snow! Love it or dread it?
Don't live in it, so I looove the idea!
(BGM: Skiing is a damn expensive sport to do. Why start?)

12. Can you ice skate?
Pretty well.
(BGM: Pretty well when I was five, and I never learned to cross-over)

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
The only gifts I've received that have persisted are books. Same thing holds true for giving gifts.

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you?
Time with the important people in my life.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Mom's pumpkin pie.
(BGM: Is that brandy in the pie? Yes it is!)

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
The family doesn't have any that I can think of.
(BGM: Dinner)

17. What tops your tree?
Er, no idea.
(BGM: Tree?)

18. Which do you prefer - giving or receiving?
What does that have to do with Christmas?
Oh, I get it. I want to lie and say giving, but it's receiving.
(BGM: Whatever it takes to seal the deal)

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Danny Kaye is one of my favorite comedic actors, so by association, Bing Crosby's "White Christmas."

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or yum?
Bleh. Don't love them, don't hate them. I'll spend my calories elsewhere, given the choice.

jana said...

JohnW:
I think I need your Mom's pumpkin pie recipe! :)