9/06/2006

how far is east from west?

This powerful post about peace and forgiveness from God Girl is a must-read (really, all of her posts are worth a gander, but do take a few minutes to contemplate this one)...

John initially showed me this post because the photo of double-amputee Gill Hicks caught his eye. That she has forgiven the London bombers whose acts resulted in her loss is a miracle.

Today I showed my students a video about the 1992 LA Uprising/Rodney King Riots. The movie, Sa-I-Gu, explores the tensions in central L.A. between African-Americans and the Korean shopkeepers whose businesses were looted and burned to the ground. Though there are interviewees in this documentary that speak kindly about their neighbors, I left class today with an overwhelming weariness. Feeling as if the world is way too complex. With a loss of hope that was exacerbated by a conversation with a student in the Navy following the film.

But I think I will prepare for Rosh Hashanah this year as God Girl has suggested, by finding hope through forgiveness. She quotes Rabbi Ephraim Buchwald as saying:

"We have this concept that God is in the fields....He's not in his temple, he's not in his abodes . . . he's not transcendent. He's very, very imminent. He comes out to the fields, to the people in the fields, begging them, 'OK, come to me and just ask for forgiveness.'

No comments: