6/28/2006

planes, trains, and...


We started our journey at 7:30 yesterday morning with a lift to the train station from Matt. We took a commuter train to Union Station, another train to Burbank airport, and then had a generous wait time until our flight. We then flew to Salt Lake City, had a one-hour layover, and finally landed in Durham, North Carolina just before midnight yesterday (local time).

This morning we drove for about 5 hours to the Outer Banks, and joined the rest of my siblings' families and my Mom at a big beachhouse for a week of R&R.

So far, so good. We have feasted, played games, and teased the cousins. This evening we all took a quick dip in the Atlantic Ocean and affirmed that the water is just as cold here as in the Pacific (despite the Gulf Stream currents that C explained to us in such detail). :)

Tomorrow we look forward to Roanoke Island, an aquarium, seafood, a lighthouse and more beach time. It should be great fun :) I'll have some flickr pics posted of our adventure soon....

The frogs, locusts, and other beasties are singing a chorus outside of our window. Their music is nearly deafening. But I suspect that I will still sleep well tonite.
:)

6 comments:

Gray said...

That's terrific. That sounds like a marvelous family trip.

I went to grad school at UNC/Chapel Hill and know the area well. My favorite professor gave me pretty much unlimited off-season use of his place on Emerald Isle. From the standpoint of someone who lives north of Cape Cod and often swims well down east in Maine, the sheltered Outer Banks are like bath water! My teen-aged memory of the California coast is that it was cold like here.

I liked Roanoke Island. I remember hearing about the Freedmen's colony, though I don't remember if you can see any remnants.

If you are looking for a good meal and are in the area, I used to love going to the Sanitary Fish Market in Morehead City. It had great fish right off the boat, very family friendly. It's big and a little touristy, but I loved it. Impeccably clean kitchen.

Whatever you do, have a blast!

Lesley Looper said...

Hello from another fan of the North Carolina coast! Enjoy your time there.

Gray said...

Great! We are unanimous!

Joy said...

What did you think of the aquarium?

jana said...

We ended up skipping the aquarium in favor of more time at the beach (we smushed the Roanoke history sites and Kitty Hawk all into one day so the next day could be a sand-fest).

THough I'm sad we missed the aquarium, I think it was a good choice. No regrets....

Joy said...

the aquarium is small. If you make it back to the east coast, there's better aquariums. It does have a great skate and ray touch tank, but you didn't miss out. Roanoke is interesting..and of course the beach is fabulous!