3/09/2006

Make me smile...

--when i climb under the bedcovers and slide my foot down between the sheets. That first moment of clean, cool linen against skin. lovely.
--when it's windy and cold and I've been sitting outside for 2 hours selling girl scout cookies w/E at Trader Joe's. And the local coffee shop drops off 5 cups of hot cocoa topped with mounds of whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles for the girls. the looks in the girls' eyes as they realize that all that chocolatey goodness is for them. adorable!
--Mom's loan of her chainsaw to our community garden. And using it to chop down decrepit structures and overgrown trees. thanks!
--my nephew's antics in my LR. His marching, dancing, and 'uh-oh.' his sweet dimples.
--my upstairs neighbor's slightly off-key and LOUD singing of Karen Carpenter songs. Her enthusiasm is absolutely infectious (tho I sing Cat Stevens back at her...)
--my neighbors (and Friends) who bring me spent coffee grounds for my compost bin.
:)

4 comments:

Gray said...

I enjoyed those. Here are a few of mine:

I love when my old cat sleeps on me, with her improbably perfect soft fur and her hypnotic purr.

Standing alone on a mountain top after a long hike, with no evidence of humans anywhere.

Reading the love letters saved by my great, great grandmother in a perfect wooden box, along with a long, long lock of her beautiful hair.

Discovering an arrowhead.

Watching my brilliant, competent daughter, happy and alive in the sunlight, unaware of my gaze.

Eating the first slice of home made bread, warm from the oven.

Your unquestionably have an A #1 mom.

-Gray

jana said...

Gray:

Thanks for sharing your smiles w/me! Reading your thoughts made me smile, too :)

Don't you think that daughters and mountaintops and cat bellies (not to mention homemade bread) are the best?! If everyone had a cat to rub and some bread to eat and a mountain to climb, this world would be such a happy place!!!

Gray said...

This is true, Jana.

What also makes me smile is the concept the your mom owns and can use a chain saw. My mom can't even even stand to see me sharpen my chain or to hear the sound at a distance, so great is her fear.

jana said...

My Mom owns a chainsaw, but I don't think she uses it herself (though who knows, maybe she's secretly been doing chainsaw sculptures in her spare time?). Mom has several manly sons and sons-in-law who put her power tools to good work.

One note: during the years that my kids were small and I wasn't in school, I did a lot of around-the-house projects that required power tools (drills, sanders, paint sprayers, etc). When E was about 3 she told me that she couldn't wait to be a Mom so she could use loud tools like mine.
:)