12/28/2005

revolution

When C was little he often talked about setting New Year's "revolutions." At the time it was so cute, yet it always gave me pause. Do we really think that we can change our lives in some dramatic way merely because it is the beginning of a new calendar year?

For the past 3 years or so my only New Year's resolution has been not to set any resolutions. I'm thinking of breaking the pattern this year and actually setting some goals.

What about you? Do you do resolutions? What do you resolve? Do you ever keep them?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very cute!

I'm not enthusiastic about New Year's resolutions either. I have kept a few and broken many more, but the whole concept does not really satisfy me. Perhaps it's because the calendar seems arbitrary, a sort of historico-political-pagan accident. If it was really a solstice celebration perhaps I could attach more meaning to it.

As a veteran of many years in public health, I know that impulsive or dramatic decisions taken out of context usually don't lead to permanent and successful changes. Real change and real growth are much harder than that.

Goal setting is a much better idea than resolution making. to me, if you buy the distinction that one is simply "planful" and the other is merely declamatory and probably impulsive.

When I start a long distance backpack trip I decide where I am going, but I know that I can't be too prescriptive about how I get there. It is something that I plan methodically over a long period of time, and I probably have contingency plans to account for weather, injury, and the like.

New Year's resolutions are like signing up for a course you see in the mail. Plans are what you did when you had children or went to graduate school.

-Gray

Dora said...

I'm not big on NYR's. I'd like to think that anytime is a good time to improve my life. I'm continually setting new goals, and don't like the idea of being constrained by having them centered around a day that only comes once a year.