12/05/2005

noon

Just finished watching High Noon.

I've had it on my list of must-watch movies for quite some time. I figure I can't really teach the History of the American West without watching a few Westerns.

All in all, it was a pretty good show. Gary Cooper was fine in the leading role, and though I didn't like the fact that his Quaker bride had to shoot one of the baddies (why is it that the only way to stop people fom killing people is to kill them?), other than that it was a pretty good flick.

One puzzlement, though: How did all of those so-called cowboys ride horses with such tight pants on? One wonders that they didn't split at the seams whenever they climbed up in the saddle...[though, I must admit that thinking about the too-tight pants problem kept me occupied as the minutes dragged on till noon...]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love a good western--given my devoted pride in my Arizona ancestry and just how homesick I get for the desert, I'll watch just about any movie with cactus in it, at least for a while. Try "True Grit" one of these days--it was my favorite movie when I was about ten. It has a young, cute Glenn Campbell in those very tight pants, and it ends with John Wayne saying a line that always reminds me of my grandfather, another old cowboy: "Come see a fat old man some time!"