11/12/2005

I'm back!


Howdy friends!

China was _fabulous_. It was scary and dirty and beautiful all at the same time. I loved the smalller towns (Hanzhou and Suzhou)the best. Beijing was military and sparse. Shanghai too modern and New York-like.

I came home with a resolve to live in Asia. I'm no longer afraid of funky toilets, weird food, and seas of different-looking faces.

Perhaps my biggest news from the trip was that I broke my leg on the flight over. (My right leg, not my left). As a result, I got to revel in attention from lots of older men who took pity on my incapacity. And everything turned out just fine.

[Note: getting off the plane I headed straight into a dingy LAX bathroom and sang the praises of paper seatcovers, and TP, and soap, and beautiful white poreclain toilets....]

PS: Kudos to John and Amy and Brooke and all of the other helpers while I was gone!

1 comment:

Dora said...

You must not have used the same toilets that I did ... pristine, with the scent of recent bleach in the air. Restroom nirvana!