9/14/2007

goin' curly


The best view in the house., originally uploaded by mind on fire.

Taking a break from the travelogue to tell you some recent news:

My hair is turning curly.

All of my life my hair has been poker straight. Like so straight that even with an 80s spiral perm it was just barely wavy. But just in the last month I've been noticing some slight curls at the ends of my hair. And on this trip I've had some soft ringlet curls around my face when I put up my ponytail (which, in fact is full of curls).

I don't know what would cause formerly straight hair to change its mind and become curly. I haven't added any chemicals to my hair and the effect doesn't seem altered by changing shampoos or other hair products.

But I'm not complaining. No way. All my life I have coveted those with natural curls.

Lucky me :)

5 comments:

Paula said...

My younger son really really wanted curly hair when he was younger, but had straight hair, like the rest of us. When he hit puberty, all of a sudden, he had thick curly hair, that forms tight ringlets when it's humid. (Unlike mine which becomes dank and uncontrollable in humidity.) I think for him it was sheer force of human will :) I've never known anyone else whose hair changed so much. He's also gone from thick black hair at birth to red hair for two year, to sandy brown, to very dark brown, all in 16 years.

jana said...

Paula: I suspect that I'm going through puberty again. :)

I like what one friend said about my hair change--she said if anyone could wake up and find that their hair had changed to curly overnite, well she's not at all surprised that it happened to me, of all people. :)

Jen Hill said...

Hello! I just stumbled upon your blog and am really enjoying the photos and poems, really beautiful, and thanks for sharing.

When I read about your new curls, I had to comment. You should take a look at Lorraine Massey's Book, "Curly Girl." She claims that by using silicone free products, not using a hair dryer, and avoiding harsh shampoos, your hair will "remember" it's natural wave or curl.
Naturallycurly.com is an amazing site created to help the "hair challenged" people, like myself! Have fun with your new ringlets, love the curl! Jen

Anonymous said...

So has it flattened back down now that you're out of our lovely humidity and back in SoCal?

jana said...

It's not _quite_ as curly as it was in Boston. But I did just buy a hair product (curl maximizer stuff) so we'll see if that makes a difference. FWIW, when I was in New Hampshire my hair was downright frizzy/fuzzy. Crazy.

I don't mind so much if the curliness doesn't show all the time. At least I know it's there and every once in awhile a ringlet will form at my neck or around my face and just tickle me pink....