3/15/2007

blogher

Wow. My IWD post, "Is it because of all that armpit hair?" is featured on this blogher article about youtube feminism. Cool!

More and more, I feel that feminism is returning. I know the term itself has baggage, and that there are numerous women who feel that the movement is too fractured with vying groups for it to have any focus or effect. But I'm hopeful that it can and that it will.

As I predicted/prophesied at the Sunstone Symposium last summer, I believe that the Internet will be the biggest influence on the world of LDS feminism. By the same token, I believe the 'Net will have huge impact on feminism at large--enough to initiate a new wave of activism and social change. When I see groups like Mojo Moms, Coalition of Women for Peace, Moms Rising, Women for Women, and similar organizations that are building a strong presence via the web, I am filled with hope.

Yes, I know that there are problems with attempting to organize feminists. There are factions along lines of identity politics and issues with essentializing gender. But I think there are things that we can agree on, and we can move forward with the movement by finding common ground.

3 comments:

Sour Duck said...

Glad you enjoyed your blog's inclusion in that post. I had a lot of fun writing it.

I recently discovered your blog and am finding your LDS posts fascinating reading.

Take care. Melinda

jana said...

Melinda:
I'm always curious what random strangers think about my LDS entries...do you mind me asking why you find them fascinating? Is it because they resonate with your religious experience in some fashion? Or do you just find them curious--in the way that some folks are fascinated by Scientologists or the Amish? Or do they help you to better understand your LDS acquaintances? Or...???

John White said...

My own view is that it's related to the fascination with Scientology or the Amish thing. But not in the "animals at the zoo" way. I see this entire parallel society that I was unaware of. And it's just so foreign to my experience.

Oh, did you say strangers? Like I pay attention.