2/11/2006

overheard

while jana is giving john a haircut...

Jana: "Oops."
Jana: (holding razor clippers and approaching John's neck): "Hold still. Don't sneeze." [Note: I haven't told the story yet of John's famous sneeze--the one where he gouged his head and had to skip a morning of work until the bleeding abated]
John: "I like it when you use the scissors on the sides instead of the razor. That way you don't hurt my skin flaps."
Jana: "Skin flaps?"
John: "You know, those folds of skin on my head above my ears."
Jana: "Did you want sideburns?"
Jana: "Stand up and look at me so I can see if the sides of your head match."
Jana: "I'm glad you like the tousled look."
John: "Have you noticed how many fruit flies live on our back porch?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am fortunate in this respect.

My 14 years with the same barber have been... less frightening.

jana said...

I've been cutting John's hair since 1989-ish. I think he likes the haircuts I give him as they are always accompanied by a lot of banter. :)

I think I've only cut his skin once, and that was just an ever-so-small nick about his ear with a dull razor. The sneeze headwound was not haircut-related. It was the result of a Christmas wreath hanger gone awry...

John's only cut my hair once. It wasn't a totally bad experience, but it did result in some uneven-ness that I had to clean up later (he didn't understand that you can't just cut straight across as if you're cutitng paper. Hair has _layers_.)
:)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you clarified the wound story. I imagined it as an icon for the haircut of nightmares.

Good for you.

I have cut my wife's hair, in Ye Olde Days of Yore when it was thigh length. I'm a little wistful about that. It was pretty simple- My very knowledgable cousin showed me how. Errors could be corrected without harm. It is an oddly intimate experience.