1/18/2006

leg(s)

Two weeks ago I had new cosmesis, or "skin" put on my artifcial leg. To do so I went to a clinic where I'd never been before to meet with the tech who'd be designing my leg. It isn't a quick process. I've already written a bit about that here.

So I meet with this Tech and we talk about what I like my leg to look like. I point to some problem areas on my current skin (the wrinkly calf, the hole in my ankle, etc). I tell him that I like firmer foam around my thigh, with a softer--more bendable--style at my knee. We discuss different aspects of my lifestyle. Tech spends about 10 min looking at my real leg and taking measurements. He tries not to register shock at my 16" calf (yes, those muscles are big!). He tells me that he always downsizes the leg a bit from the true size, "to look more shaplely and natural." Most Techs actually trace my left leg so they can get the shape just right. This Tech, though, says he can do it from just a visual and some measurements. I decide to trust him on this.

Then he goes back into the shop for a few hours and emerges with a "shapely" leg.

Tech's done a fine job. The leg is smooth and well-shaped. It matches the one on the left nicely. I put it on and he has me walk all around the office and look in all of the full-length mirrors. The receptionist and other techs form a line down the hall and give their opinions. Then I try on various pairs of pants to see if the leg looks right. Tech makes a few adjustments and then sends me on my way. The strong smell of chemical adhesive that exudes from my leg is disconcerting. I roll down the windows in the car on the drive home.

All day long I find myself trying to get used to the new feel. I touch my calf and it is oddly spongy. I put on black stockings and find that I like the way it looks. It's been a very time long since I wore a short skirt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was really an interesting post. It's not information that I would have known. Your short skirt, black stockings, and refurbished leg look terrific. If it's not too imappropriate, I would add that the effect is definitely sexy! Enjoy your new skin.

There is a well dressed woman who I sometimes see on my daily commute who looks like a lawyer and wears an unconcealed prosthesis. The effect is professional and honest in it's own way.

-Gray

jana said...

One of the quandries that I have as an wearer of a prosthesis is whether to let my mechanical stuff show, or cover it up with cosmesis. I've done some of both. And, yes, going w/o a cover is an honest thing to do.

But it's uncomfortable. It hurts to cross my legs, and the leg is cold and the knee joint often pinches my fingers. Clothes hang sorta funny, too. It's also hard that I get _so_ many stares everywhere I go. Though ppl do stare because I limp, when I have a cover on my leg it allows me a bit more anonymity.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jana. That was information that I would never have known or even suspected. I somehow would haved assumed the opposite about comfort. The woman I mentioned looks like a lawyer straight out of central casting- Her leg is a little startling in that context and surely gets more than her share of staring.

Anyway, thanks for explaining.