6/16/2008

at sunset


at sunset, originally uploaded by pilgrimgirl.

This is a photo that I took at sunset yesterday. I'd made a quick trip to the garden to gather herbs for John's Father's Day dinner and then just had to snap a few pictures.

I came across this quotation yesterday and it's been in my mind ever since:
"True simplicity consists not in the use of particular forms, but in foregoing over-indulgence, in maintaining humility of spirit, and in keeping the material surroundings of our lives directly serviceable to necessary ends, even though these surroundings may be properly characterized by grace, symmetry, and beauty."
~Book of Discipline of the Religious Society of Friends, Adopted by the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, 1927
In so many ways my garden is a space echoes my desire for "humility in spirit." When I am there I am in awe of the world and my small place in it, I am overwhelmed by my own inability at mastery, and I am constantly blessed by grace, symmetry, and beauty.

2 comments:

Vajra said...

I love Cosmos. Hope life is getting a bit less complicated, like the Cosmo.

belleshpgrl said...

Hi Jana! Thanks for checking out and commenting on my blog! I was talking to my friend about Quakerism (?) and we are both wondering if there was any literature you would recommend for us to learn more about it. I would really appreciate it! I hope your leg feels better! -Katherine