5/11/2008

archway


rose arch, originally uploaded by pilgrimgirl.

For the past 2 years I've been training a climbing rose in my garden into an archway. I think it's finally there, folks. Isn't it pretty? It's just high enough for me to walk underneath (yes, I do remain an incurable romantic, even after all these years....)

Yesterday I returned to the garden after about two weeks of convalescence. Things were looking good there due to the good care of GameBoy who kept my new plants well-watered. I fussed and fretted a bit over my roses, got my tomatoes in the ground (finally!), and pulled many weeds.

Most of my rosebushes are either blooming or are just about to bloom. My strawberries are perking up, the peach tree is covered with green fuzzy knobs, and my orange tree has some pea-sized oranges on it. I trimmed a handful of chamomile and brought it home and steeped myself a cup of tea that tasted of pure comfort.

It being Mother's Day today, I awoke to the smell of Hollandaise sauce and a lovely breakfast of fresh strawberry shake, Eggs Florentine (with oyster mushrooms from the Farmer's Market rather than meat), and a frothy latte. Yum!!

:)

5 comments:

Alberta said...

Gorgeous! Your roses are amazing! I'm soooo jealous, but also glad to hear you are well enough to be back in your garden. And I'm glad to see that our Pooh House made it into your neighbor's garden! Keep posting your wonderful pictures, they really inspire me. (Mmmm, farmers market mushrooms are the BEST!)

sarah k. said...

I have to admit that your rose archway speaks to me in a desperate, longing sort of way, but when I got to the part about an orange tree, I might have cried a little. I've never even seen an orange tree, and all my life, oranges have been my favorite fruit. Now, though, with trying to eat locally and being conscious about where stuff comes from and at what price, it seems that oranges are out of the question.

jana said...

SarahK:
You just need to come and visit me in SoCal--where we have oranges, limes, and lemons year round! :)

If you come in Nov-Dec, we can pick them right off the trees near my place.

jana said...

Alberta:
The Pooh house is now in the garden that use to have those two tall spruce trees (was it Jesse or your husband that cut them down?). It is being well-loved by a youngster there and the other children in the garden.

I should tell you that things have really changed in the gardens since you left. Nika's plot is now 5 smaller plots, there's a long waitlist, and Alice and I might just have the biggest gardens left (Bekah's was subdivided when she left as have most of the other older rambling plots). It's a vibrant place to be still, but a very different vibe from back in the day when there were like 3 of us doing it all ourselves!

One of these days I'll get over to your old plot and snap some pics for you. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful arch, and how great that you were finally able to get back out to it. GameBoy is my latest hero for keeping the new plants alive for you. And I'm glad you had such a lovely feast.