2/05/2008

votin'

I'll be teaching this morning then running an errand and heading for the polls. Having been a pollworker for several years I know that the slowest time tends to be around 10-11 in the morning. Lunch is awful and the crowds keep rolling in all afternoon and swell again in the evening.

Yes, I know I could use an absentee ballot. But do you know that I would truly miss the THRILL of standing there in the cardboard booth myself? My foremothers, like Quaker Alice Paul, fought so hard to give me this right. And I appreciate it so very much.

UPDATE: a pic of me, post-vote...
exercising my rights...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want to know how the Quakers are suggesting you vote in California, here's the breakdown:
91-No
92-No
93-neutral
94-No
95-No
96-No
97-No

JohnR said...

I'm tempted to leave an Obama endorsement here, but I'll restrain myself. :P

gs said...

The video in your IWD post from last year (that you link to in this post) is "no longer available." :(

JohnR said...

God, you're so sexy when you're being political!

Hellmut said...

I agree. There is something about voting on the same day. It's more of a community event.

Besides, if a candidate breaks late, absentee voters might change their mind by election day.

Gray said...

dissertationem:

I love to vote.

This year I added to my election experience by photographing the place I vote for the New York Times Polling Place Photo Project. ( pollingplaces.nytimes.com )

The NYT attempts to collect photographs of all the polling places in the US, along with a little information. It sounds to me like a nice little project for a recovering LDS mom who takes photographs and blogs and and might like to profess stuff for a living.

Since it's too late for California, readers from other states who have yet to vote might wish to check contribute. I though that it was fun.


Here's a link to my favorite entry from Massachusetts. Until recently, my town used the same technology:

http://tinyurl.com/2gzs92


-Gray