11/06/2007

TV-Free

I'm going to start this post off with a lie. The lie is that we don't have a TV.*

We are often asked why our kids are so amazing and smart. Though some of it is probably due to good genes, it is quite possible that much of their intelligence, curiosity, and good behavior is the result of our not having a TV.

When John and I married, we decided that we wouldn't own a TV. We felt that TV was just a waste of time. We've stuck to that resolve except for a short 6 month period when I was pregnant with CatGirl and my grandma insisted on giving us a large spankin'-new television set. In our brief TV era we enjoyed a lot of PBS programming, including such classics as Bill Nye and The Big Comfy Couch. But after the baby was born we sold the TV to the neighbor and quickly settled back into our sans-TV lifestyle.

Yet we haven't completely deprived ourselves of TV programming. Over the years we've occasionally rented TV shows from the library or from netflicks. For awhile we watched movies via a VCR hooked up to our computer. Now we watch via DVD. I think my kids have seen every episode of The Magic SchoolBus and WishBone. I can't think of any other series that they've watched in its entirety.

There have been a few times that our TV-free life has been socially awkward. But now with youtube we can watch all the funny bits of most shows (and with no commercials!). And I've experienced many shows vicariously through re-tellings from friends (e.g. I feel I've watched every episode of Seinfeld simply through various watercooler-talk references and not through actual watching of the show).

I'm sure that there are plenty of brilliant TV-watching kids out there. And I'm sure that a TV-less lifestyle has probably hindered our kids socially a bit. But there's something completely satisfying about the fact that my kids have wanted very few toys or cereals or any such thing simply because they've never seen or heard of them. We've filtered much of their media exposure and they are the better for it. I suspect that when they leave home they may go through a kind of TV orgy period. Indulging in such entertainment 24/7. And I'll roll my eyes and tell them that I thought they'd learned better than that. But secretly, inside, I'll be smiling at their mini-rebellion. And I suspect after the novelty wears off, that their homes will be TV-free, too (if there even is such a thing as TV in their futures).

*Full disclosure: We actually do have a TV--given to us by one of John's coworkers. We use it for playing Taiko DrumMaster and Dance Dance Revolution. We've never used it to watch any kind of TV programming. In fact, I wouldn't even know how to hook the thing up to receive cable although we get it for free where we live.

7 comments:

daisies said...

i go through cycles. i've always had the physical object of a tv but i haven't always had cable or even fuzzy local shows. we currently are cableless and loving it though when the dead cold of winter hits, we will likely bring it back for a few months. the bright colour somehow warms me when the world outside is frozen, lol ...

i admire that you go completely without!! :)

Anonymous said...

Ha. If you want to give your kids a TV fix, send them my way. My kids mostly only watch PBS (Number One is a SportsCenter addict), but I watch pretty much every trashy reality show ever invented (well, not Big Brother). They won't get commercials at my house, either, though--I DVR everything.

R. John said...

My pregnant sister got so sick of her TV that she got up one day (recently) and cut the power cord. Luckily, the scissors had plastic handles, as, in her rage, she forgot to unplug it before deciding to cut the cord.

As a scholar of "visual culture" I couldn't imagine not having a screen of some kind to watch everything I need to (and the computer screen sometimes requires too austere a posture--I am by nature a relaxer).

My rule for kids is, TV programming in moderation is fine. BUT, they cannot watch any program with commercials. So, if you want SpongeBob, that's great, but you'll have to go to the library to get the DVD. Of course, I realize there are already commercials planted inside a lot of these shows, but at least it's less in their faces.

Now, let's get back to hoping this WAG strike ends soon so that we can get the Daily Show back on the air...

jana said...

I'm not even one whit embarrassed that I have no clue what a WAG strike is.

;-)

JohnR said...

But you should be embarrassed for not Googling it. :P

jana said...

naw, if I was embarrassed I would have googled it. by stating my non-embarrassment I was showing my cultural and intellectual superiority over RJohn (and that is so a joke--he's about the whip-smartest guy I know)

SoCalSingleMama said...

The part of this blog that stood out the most to me was that you guys play Dance dance revolution! I'm so bad at DDR, but I've played about a half dozen times and it is so fun. Way better than watching TV any day. It's almost enough to make me want to buy whatever gaming unit one uses to play DDR....