7/22/2007

because I cried...

I bawled during the last 100 pages of The Book. In real-life situations I am not really much of a cry-er but I can be quite emotional while reading and watching movies (yah, I always cry when I watch LOTR even though I know exactly how it will end!). I think I also internalized much of the drama of the Harry Potter story because I see my son in Harry's stead and my daughter in Ginny and Hermione. When these characters are in danger I feel like one of my own is in danger. [Note: spoiler ahead] and when Mrs. Weasley comes out in defense of her daughter that was ME, I was fighting right there along with her!

Oddly enough, I don't think anyone else in my family had quite the emotional reaction that I did. It was certainly exacerbated by sleep deprivation and the intensity of reading the whole thing in the space of a few hours. But I really FELT it.

What about you, do you ever get emotional about books and/or movies? If so, which ones?

Oh, and if you need a smile, you really should read this post from Lymphopo. Adorable!

4 comments:

Dora said...

Didn't cry during The Book ... too gripping.

However, I can be a real softie. Certain movies always make me cry. Love Story (is it the dying or the music?). Man of All Seasons. Saw Dancer in the Dark with a friend and just about dehydrated myself.

The last book that squeezed a tear from my eye was Three Cups of Tea.

Téa said...

I cry a lot reading The Poisonwood Bible. It's so horrible that these people go through these awful experiences and never know the joy that religion, faith and a good father/husband could bring. I feel rather unworthy of the blessings I have, a kind of survivor's guilt. Doesn't seem to matter that it's fiction.

I also got too caught up watching LOTR for the first time in the theater, found myself starting to say a little prayer for Frodo and Sam much like I do when I'm reading/watching the news.

I come away empowered after viewing the movie Dune --how bizarre is that?

(Oy, I sound so very strange after reading this comment!)

John White said...

I cried at the end of "the Dirty Dozen." Jim Brown was throwing these hand grenades down these air-shafts. And Richard Jaeckel and Lee Marvin were sitting on top of this armored personnel carrier, dressed up like Nazis...

Anonymous said...

There were lots of places I cried a little in The Book, and at the climax I went through three tissues. The parts that get me the most are the lost and threatened children (and their parents' desire to protect them) and the lost parents. I still get choked up thinking of the lineup of the dead.