6/29/2007

this one's for you


daisy yellows, originally uploaded by pilgrimgirl.

I look at this petite little daisy and I see the strength of one. In a sea of people we sometimes wonder if one person can 'make a difference', or if we really even matter at all. But I think we do, each of us!

I've been thinking a lot about SL's post , which was a riff on an earlier post of mine. I think we both struggle with wanting to know what our place is in changing this world.

For me, lately, I have come to understand that I should be simple-minded in my efforts. I may not come up with a world-wide program for combating disease. I may not be a Paul Farmer or a Dorothy Day. But I can take pictures of flowers, and grow vegetables, and give a kind word. I can aim to have a welcoming home, where all can join in the simple pleasures of a good meal. I often play piano concertos on my record player and eat fine chocolate and hold a purring kitty on my lap. It's all good.

In speaking of the women's suffrage movement, Alice Paul wrote:

"I always feel the movement is a sort of mosaic. Each of us puts in one little stone, and then you get a great mosaic at the end."

My efforts are my own little stone and I like thinking that they are a part of something bigger and grander than myself. Like one blossom in a meadow-full of flowers. :)

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I love that photo. And something encouraging to think about. Thanks, Jana.

Anonymous said...

Jana: I just want to tell you how very much I appreciate this post and the idea that the simple things that we do can be a good part of a much bigger picture that includes kindness and good will.

I meditate on this idea a lot when I start finding my mind wandering into questioning/guilty places that cause me to think I am not doing enough to change the world.

And yet, I somehow always come back to the idea that it must be the little things that part of something much bigger. The simple things- just like you said.

I think what I am trying to say is that I feel like this post says something that I have felt, but have not been able to articulate for a long time, and I thank you for that.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jana you always have the most wonderful material on your blog. Thank you. I like the idea of finding my own pebble to contribute. And I guess it's okay that I'm still deciding what color it is or what shape it is or even if it's really tiny and rough. The mosaic needs it, or else there's a hole somewhere.

I think your contributions are incredible and so inspiring.