6/15/2007

Make me smile...

--GameBoy atttending an all-nite school party to reward students who'd read 50+ books extra-curricularly this past year. Games, movies, pizza, oh my!

--The superb garden-fresh ciabatta lunches that John's prepared for me daily for the past 2 weeks.

--End-of-the-year concerts for both kiddoes. Some marvelous flute and cello music. Beaming parents all 'round.

--TobyKitty curled up in a couch-cushion tunnel next to me as I write and grade papers all day.

--Getting the giggles as I administered a Final Exam yesterday morning (trying to cover it with some dry coughing). Having to leave the classroom momentarily to regain my composure.

--Giving my piano to Dora-chan for safekeeping. The pleasure of knowing that she will give it much love and attention while I am distracted with my dissertation for the next couple of years.

--Making Bonny's Blackberry Crumble with berries just picked in our garden.
Blackberry Crumble (recipe from this website)

* 2 cups washed blackberries
* 2/3 cup sugar (Note: I used half the sugar and it still tasted great)
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or juice of 1 lemon
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/8 teaspoon salt

Put blackberries in a 1-quart baking dish with half of the sugar. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Cream butter, remaining sugar, flour, and salt together; sprinkle over berries. Bake blackberry crumble at 350° for 40 minutes.

Serve warm or cold with cream, ice cream, or dessert sauce. Blackberry crumble dessert recipe serves 4.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It makes sense to use not so much sugar. I am going to have to try that next time. The berries are usually sweet enough as it is.

I hope you enjoyed it. Just thinking about it makes me want to make one today!

SoCalSingleMama said...

Mmmm...I think I'm going to make this for Father's Day dessert tomorrow!

Dora said...

Thank you so much for the loan of the piano! The night I got it home, I spent about 20 minutes playing Christmas music from the LDS hymnal ... those were the only readily available sheet music I had on hand. I've decided to play at least one song on it daily. After June, I'l start on Clair de Lune again. Maybe I'll finally get through it and get it perfomance ready ... a goal for about the past 8 years.

SoCalSingleMama said...

I made this today but with a frozen Stater Brothers mixture of strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries. It was a hit! We had it with vanilla bean ice cream. Yum! Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, that sounds so good. When I lived in California, I had wild blackberry bushes (brambles) outside my door. They grew to the size of my thumb. It was almost impossible for me to bake with them, because all I ever wanted to do was shove whole handfuls of them raw into my mouth. But when I did manage to bake with them, a blackberry custard tart in a shortbread shell topped with raw blackberries, for example, ooooooooooh the goodness!

I have really uncontrollable fruit greed.

Anonymous said...

(I mean the berries were the size of my thumb, not the brambles. Sheesh.)

alisonwonderland said...

amazingly enough, i was thinking just tonight about making something like blackberry crumble and wondering if i'd be able to google up a recipe! thanks for sharing!