9/14/2006

lunatic?


"Life as it is--I see pain, misery, and cruelty beyond belief. I've heard the voices of all God's nobler creatures, and the moans from bundles of filth left on the streets. I've been a soldier and a slave. And the comrades who died in my arms--these were the men who saw life as it is. They died despairing. No glory. No brave last words. Their eyes were filled with confusion, questioning why. I do not think they were asking why they were dying, but why they had never lived.

Life itself seems lunatic. Who knows where madness lies? Perhaps being too practical is madness. To surrender to dreams, this may be madness. To seek treasure where there is only trash is madder still. Too much sanity may be madness. But maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be."
(adapted from Dale Wasserman's screenplay, "The Man of La Mancha")

No comments: