5/01/2006

shopping

I have no patience for it, really. When I was in high school and I needed to buy two pairs of pants, I went to a department store, pulled the two pairs of pants I needed off of the rack and bought them. Mission accomplished. My foreign-exchange student sister, who accompanied me on that errand, was shocked. She couldn't understand how I could know what I wanted and then buy it, just like that. No browsing, perusing, debating. Just a simple purchase.

Today I went to a store to buy a new purse. I realized last week that the frayed handle on my current purse was sort of ratty-looking (even John pointed out that it was looking trashy, so you know it's pretty bad). I figured it could be a quick 15 or so minutes at the store to locate a replacement. Not so. I couldn't find anything tasteful, simple, well-made, and unleather. Also, the whole time I was there I realized that what I really wanted to be doing was sitting in my cozy pink armchair reading about 19th century hospital systems. Or riding my bike. Or sitting in my coffee garden. Or nuzzling the soft white stripe on Ellycat's forehead. Or continuing to wear my worn-in purse....

No comments: