4/13/2006

thrifty girl


I love the saying: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." In an effort to minimize my impact on the planet, and to be more ecologically aware, I do all kinds of crazy things to recycle/repurpose/reuse. A few of my efforts:
--devoting time each day to moderate FreecycleIrvine
--using cloth diapers on my kids when they were babies
--maintaining 2 vermicomposting bins on my back porch. Shredding my junkmail and feedng it to the worms.
--buying much of our clothing from goodwill, patagonia, etc.
--recycling cans, packaging, etc
--adopting kitties from the local animal shelter
--buying produce from the famer's market or organic items from Trader Joe's
--maintaining a gianormous organic garden (weeding party, anyone?) and serving as the treasurer for the community garden council
--borrowing items instead of buying them. And loaning our stuff to others as needed, too.
--using both sides of printer/copier paper.
--trying not to patronize restaurants that waste food. And, not ordering more than I can/should eat.
--cleaning the house with plant-based products.
--giving gifts of time and love at holidays, instead of 'stuff.'
--making household objects out of crocheted plastic bags
--bringing my own bags to the grocery store
--taking the train or bus when we travel instead of renting a car.
--wrapping gifts in re-used paper or in old roadmaps.
--making my own soap (laden with garden herbs).
[Note: I have 'recycled' this post by slightly modifying it for my ExponentBlog post]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

more like wormicomposting to me!

the printing on both sides is what makes me waste paper reprinting things for school.

i weed for you already!

i love the new fruit cleaner so much more than windex!

why cant you give me stuff on holidays!

can we make soap this summer? please?

i love the unfinished plastic bag rug you made!

:)

Caroline said...

speaking of recycling.... I'd be happy to take any old Budget Living and Mother JOnes magazines off your hands....:)

Also, sometime I want you to tell me more about vermicomposting. I think I want to set one up.