4/30/2006

java, java, java

I don't care much for coffee...I have the strong Mormon prohibition against it and, IMO, it's just bitter nasty stuff. And then there's the fact that I worked in a coffee shop during my early college years and I just lost interest in the smell after inhaling it for hours a day. Also, I was really shocked recently to learn that the only commodity that the US imports more of than coffee is OIL. Yes, we buy that much coffee. Incroyable!

[Note: The exception to my coffee dislike being coffee-flavored ice cream, which is awesome.]

However, my garden OOZES coffee smell. Just today I amended my soil with worm castings and coffee grounds. The sun was out and the soil was warm. My plot smelled more ripe with expresso than Starbucks. This is the first year that I've used coffee as a soil additive. And now I'm wondering if my tomatoes will have a slight java flavor? Hmm....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i sure hope they don't! we have to try out our special new tomatoes!

Gray said...

I prefer to compost coffee grounds, because I was worried about increasing soil acidity. I dont actually know if that is a myth. It composts beautifully.

I once tried experimenting with coffee and coffee grounds to repel slugs, but I only saw a difference if I actually sprayed my tomato plants with coffee, so I don't think that the grounds help with slugs problem in my area.

I do use coffee grounds as a mulch for my acid-loving blueberries and azaleas. It looks like a banner year for our blueberries.

Happy gardening! My tomatoes won't go into the ground until Memorial day.

jana said...

Gray:
I've read in several places that the coffee grounds aren't acidic because the 'acid' is leached out of them in the coffee-making process. I did feed the coffee to my worms prior to using it in my garden, so it had some time to 'cure' for awhile before I applied it directly into my beds.

Hopefully the results will be worthwhile :)

Gray said...

I'm sure that the worms have broken down any organic acids.

Last fall I mixed in about a yard of apple pulp from our friendly local orchard into my large compost operation. Instead of coffee, this comes from their cider press. Now that it is warmer there is a mild smell of fermentation as I turn the compost over, but it is nice and hot. Early the other morning it was steaming in the cool damp air. Hurray for Comunity Supported Agriculture.