1/19/2006

the cello store


the cello store
Originally uploaded by pilgrimgirl.

On Monday we bought C a new cello for his Honor Orchestra audition. It was quite a sight to be in a music store surrounded by thousands of dollars worth of beautiful musical instruments.

E took pictures as C tried different cellos. The above is one of my favorites because it captures the symmetry of the instruments, while showing the subtle differences in stain and shape.

C chose a very delicate and lightweight instrument. It has a sweet sound. More than anything, hearing it played reminds me of C's own sweetness. :)

C told me that he was thinking of naming his cello Diana, because it's such a beautiful name. I have to say that I agree.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a very beautiful name for a cello. As a life-long player of wind and stringed instuments I know what an important event in his life this purchase represents. I remember important instrument acqusitions as vividly as other major life events.

As a musical parent I also know full well what an important financial commitment your family has made and how pround you must be of him.

I hope he grows to have a great relationship with the instrument. May that it gives him pleasure and wonder.

It's not my main instrument, but I play viola da gamba. It looks like a cello but it has gut frets, real gut strings, a very different bow, and is held between your knees.