12/11/2007

working (or not)...

My work history is pretty spotty. Partially by choice, partially by necessity. I've never been hired from a cold interview. I suspect that much of the reason why is because of my disability. No one wants to hire a candidate that limps, when there are half a dozen equally-qualified able-bodied applicants in the pool.

One reason I'm in academia is because I think it's one place where my disability could be an asset, adding some 'diversity' to the hiring department. I also feel, usually, that my ideas and my teaching are valued more than my mobility.

Lately, though, I've been thinking about the challenges that I'll continue to face throughout my life as I seek employment and face health insurance issues. I've also been wondering at how some of my difficulties/spottiness at mental recall may be related to my cancer treatments. This article about survivors of childhood cancer and their challenges in the workplace hasn't done much to assuage some of my fears (kudos to TanyaSue for sending the link). Sort of discouraging...but I am hopeful that I've chosen a path that will give me the very best odds for success...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I sent you that article because we had been talking about the cancer rate in childhood cancer survivors. My thought when I read that article was that you had dodged those side effects of memory loss.

I am not by any means minimizing the effects of your treatment but am reminded of a conversation with my sister who is a two time cancer survivor. Her second cancer was brain tumors. About two years after her last treatment she called me crying because of memory problems. Apparently she didn't realize that most people do have to make grocery lists and forget what they walked into the next room to get. Your memory might be better than you think-most of us fake it to some degree.

I have an invisible disasbility and always stay with big companies for that reason. They tend to be more open to diversity because one disability amoung 50K plus employees is nothing as far as insurance goes. I think that is the main concern-not the limp, but the financial cost of the limp.